Migraines and headaches can range in severity from mildly annoying to completely incapacitating. Fortunately, chiropractor Dr. Jack Atzmon at NJ Back Chiropractic Center in Riverdale, NJ offers real solutions and lasting relief for people suffering from a headache and migraine pain who are looking to reclaim their health and their life.
Headaches and Migraines Q & A
What's Causing My Headaches And Migraines?
It's not always obvious what's causing your headache pain, however, there are several possible explanations:
- Tension headaches are the most common, and typically present with pain on one or both sides of the head (near the forehead, temples, jaw/TMJ, or neck). Tension headaches are often brought on by stress, anxiety, and muscle strain (especially if your posture is poor).
- Sinus headaches often occur with a sinus infection. These also tend to prevent with fever, stuffy nose, congestion, and sensation of increased pressure on the face.
- Cluster headaches are generally severely painful and occur on one side of the head. You may experience several cycles within a few days or weeks of headache pain followed by periods of no pain.
Migraines are also almost always severely painful. These are usually accompanied by additional symptoms including hypersensitivity to light, nausea, and blurry vision. Several theories exist on what causes migraines, and this may include hormonal or electrolyte imbalances, stress, and environmental triggers including bright light and strong scents. Migraines are believed to be related to the rapid vasodilation (the opening of blood vessels) within your brain as a response to a trigger, which causes pressure and pain.
How Does Chiropractic Care Relieve Headaches And Migraines?
Dr. Atzmon helps sufferers of migraines and headaches in several ways:
- A spinal adjustment normalizes the alignment of your neck and back, relieving pressure and tension on your spinal muscles. Chiropractic adjustments have also been shown to have a natural analgesic effect on the body by reducing the strength of pain signals being sent to the brain.
- Soft tissue massage and mobilization relaxes tense muscles in the neck, shoulders, and back. This also provides much-needed stress relief and mental well-being. Soft tissue massage also restores normal blood flow and lymphatic drainage to help reduce inflammation.
- Dr. Atzmon also provides comprehensive movement analysis, postural screening, and workplace modification to help you eliminate the postures that are putting you at increased risk for recurring headaches.